April is Botanical Extracts Month, so we are offering more information on the benefits extracts can bring to personal care products.
Botanical extracts have been used for centuries skin and hair. Derived from various parts of plants, such as flowers, fruits, leaves, and roots, extracts have seen a growing trend for use in cosmetics – a trend expected to continue.
- Anti-Aging Properties: One of the most popular trends in botanical extracts is the use of extracts with anti-aging properties. As consumers become more conscious of their skin’s health and appearance, they are seeking products that can help them combat the signs of aging (does anyone actually want to look old?). Botanical extracts have been shown to have antioxidant properties that can help to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, as well as improve skin elasticity and firmness.
- Hydration and Moisturization: Botanical extracts, like Harpagophytum procumbens Root Extract (DLG Naturals offers as “Rosecalm”) or Myrothamnus flabellifolius extract (DLG Naturals offers as “Miravive”), are also being used to provide hydration and moisturization to the skin. Natural humectant properties that help to attract and retain moisture, leave the skin feeling soft and supple. These ingredients are particularly beneficial for those with dry skin.
- Brightening and Skin Tone Improvement: Another trend in cosmetics is using extracts, like Kigelia africana Fruit Extract (DLG Naturals offers as “Kigafirm”), that can help to reduce the appearance of dark spots and hyper-pigmentation, resulting in a more even skin tone.
- Anti-Inflammatory and Soothing Properties: Botanical extracts, like Green Rooibos (Aspalathus Linearis) Leaf Extract may have anti-inflammatory and soothing properties that are beneficial for the skin. Extracts can help reduce redness and irritation, making them ideal for individuals with sensitive or reactive skin.
- Environmental Protection: Botanical extracts, like Adansonia digitata fruit extract (DLG Naturals offers as “Bao-Active”) or Moringa Oleifera Leaf Extract (DLG Naturals offers as “Miramor”), are also being used in cosmetics for their environmental protection properties. Their natural antioxidant properties can help to protect the skin from environmental stressors, such as pollution and UV radiation.
As consumers become more conscious of their skin’s health and appearance, they are seeking – indeed, demanding – products that are effective, safe, and environmentally friendly. By using botanical extracts with anti-aging properties, hydration and moisturization benefits, skin brightening and tone improvement properties, anti-inflammatory and soothing properties, and environmental protection benefits, cosmetics brands can create products that meet the needs and desires of their customers.